Thursday, August 27, 2015

"From Where I Watch You"

Shannon Grogan is a 2nd grade teacher who writes at night, and at Starbucks or the library while her kids are at ballet and baseball, in a tiny logging town east of Seattle, WA. She holds degrees in education and graphic design/illustration. When she isn’t writing or teaching, she likes baking (gluten-free), shopping at Target, losing to her kids at Skip Bo or Apples to Apples, camping, or wishing she was on a beach. But usually she’s reading, or watching scary movies like Jaws, or reality TV like Cake Boss or Long Island Medium.

Grogan applied the Page 69 Test to her new YA thriller, From Where I Watch You, and reported the following:
Page 69 absolutely is representative of the whole book! Phew!

My main character Kara is sitting with Charlie (her lifetime crush, who is back in town with secrets of his own) at El Diablo coffee shop in Seattle, arguing about Kara’s plans for the future, which includes her plan to ‘run away’ to San Francisco to enter a national baking contest in the hopes of earning a scholarship to pastry school.

Page 69 not only reminds the reader of Kara’s plans to escape her collapsed family life, but it also reminds us that she has a stalker, and a love interest building.

I’ll insert one quote from the page, which is a thought Kara is having while Charlie prods about her plan:

The “alone” in his sentence makes me think of the notes, and I wonder if whoever wrote them is watching us right now.
Visit Shannon Grogan's website.

My Book, The Movie: From Where I Watch You.

--Marshal Zeringue